(‘How to Start a Nutritarian Diet for Weight Loss
A nutritarian diet is where you eat more food that is high in nutrients and less food that is lower in nutrients. Dr. Joel Fuhrman, after many years of research, coined the term “nutritarian ” when he came up with the equation H=N/C, or health equals nutrients divided by calories in food. Healthier food options are high in nutrients and low in calories so you get a bigger nutritional punch with every calorie you put into your body. It makes the most out of every calorie you eat.
This diet is more about a complete lifestyle change to eat more nutritious overall. It focuses on eating more vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, and beans. When you focus on more nutrient rich foods you decrease the amount of processed and packaged foods, sweets, white flour, fast foods, and animal products. This diet does not say you must give up these foods, just that you eat more of the nutrient rich foods that allow your body to thrive!
The key to setting yourself up for success with the nutritarian diet is to start out with small steps and working yourself up to eating a diet that is very high in nutrients.
1. Learn more about the nutritarian diet by visiting or . By reading up on this diet you will understand the basic way to make sure you are getting the biggest nutritional bang for your buck without skipping any vital nutrients from other food groups. Dr. Fuhrman has some really great books on the market that will help walk you through the ins and outs of eating in this healthy way which may be very foreign to the majority of us.
2. Make a list of whole, plant based foods that you currently enjoy. There are many more out there than you think there are! Take a look at what you’re currently eating and write down what qualifies as a vegetable, fruit, nut, seed, or bean. Then, write down 10 foods that you wouldn’t mind trying. If you need help with this, get your free healthy grocery shopping list from my blog at
3. Find some plant-based recipes. Dr. Fuhrman includes some great ones in his books. Otherwise search around the internet and come up with some recipes that include mainly vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, or beans. A lot of vegetarian recipes fit into this diet. You probably already have some great recipes you are currently using for meals at home that could be considered vegetarian or fit with nutritarian diet.
4. Plan a week’s worth of meals and make a grocery shopping list. You can get a FREE healthy food guide and healthy grocery shopping guide on my blog at
5. Clean the unhealthy foods out of your refrigerator and pantry.
6. Stock your refrigerator and pantry with healthy foods.
7. Take one step in the healthy eating direction at a time! You don’t have to go extreme with this diet all in one day. Take it in small steps.
How do you start eating healthier today? You can make some of these great healthy snacks: green smoothies, fruit smoothies, fresh juices, fruit and vegetables for snacks, trail mix for snacks, salads with cooked vegetables and some nuts or beans for lunch, eat more salad or vegetables with your dinner, fruit for dessert, use meat as a topping for your meal, not as your main dish, and you can decrease processed and packaged foods in your diet (including soup mixes)